Saturday 24 May 2008

FREE SLICK RICK!!!!!

It was a blazin hot summer day between 6th and 7th grade around 230 in the afternoon. We were at the playground when Mark Turner came over with a tape recorder. he played this joint right here and my life was changed forever. I was already in love with hip hop but this song sealed the deal. It was Howard (RIP), Tony, Darren and Vada. I remember it like it was now. I asked Mark if I could hold the tape but of course he said no. This was back when it wasn't so cool to be darkskinned but we will save that for another time.

I know I will always take KRS over Nelly or Run-DMC over Lil Wayne, The Fat Boys over T.I. or The Beastie Boys over Chingy. Maybe I sound like my dad when he hears an oldie on the radio and always says, " Now that was when music was music, that stuff you listen to now blah blah blah..." Well dad, sorry for always drowning you out, now I wish I would have listened to the blah blah blah part, probably some good stuff.


Slick Rick is officially a free man, compliments of NY Governor David Patterson.

No comments: